Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

I am thankful for my wife, Cynthia. She puts up with a lot from me. For the past 4-5 years she has been supporting me in going to school. I've been working various part time jobs during this time, but she has always encouraged me with music and how I can improve my skills. She also has encouraged me for better health and never settling for less than I am able to achieve. For my wife, lover, and friend, I am thankful.

I am thankful for my school debt. Though it is a lot of money that Cynthia and I owe, I know that this is a small price to pay for the education I've recieved. I feel as though I have been given a masters degree in a bachelor's degree because a lot of the books, philosophies, and ideas that I have been exposed to are ones that my friends who have masters degrees are constantly surprised to see in a bachelor's degree program. I have been exposed to many different things that have encouraged me and also made me question my own faith and worship of God. For this challenge, I am thankful.

I am thankful for my family. My mom who showed me the idea of love and respect toward other people who are different than me. My sister and brother in law who can talk with me about various and strange b movies from the 80's and still love them even though we realize that they are wonderfully horrible movies. My brother who has helped me believe that it is still possible to be a good father even though we grew up without one. And I am thankful for my little sister who is just starting her life as she turned 18 this year. For my family, I am thankful.

I am thankful for my church, Roosevelt Community Church, for letting me lead them in worship each week and being open to new and different ideas of what worship could look like. They have supported me, both financially and professionally, since Easter and continue to spur me on with their stories of God being shown to them in new and different lights. For their love, community, and support, I am thankful.

I am thankful for my friends. I remember becoming a christian about eight years ago, and one of my main worries was that I would have no friends. It's petty, I know, but God has blessed me with an abundance of people who I am proud to call my friends. Rob and Willow Weston continue to spur me on with challenging thoughts and discussions that last well into the night (and sometimes into the morning). Rob and Nicole Mathey and Chris Croft show me what being a friend without expecting something in return truly looks like. They are so giving of their time, money, and friendship it amazes me. Matt Martinson has shown me courage in facing life, the importance of education, and laughing in the face of life when it gets him down (really is there anything else we can do?). Baron Miller believed in me and gave me a Worship Directors job at Roosevelt Community Church, encouraged me when I needed it most, and introduced me to the shows Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and the British Version of The Office. Kelly Huckaby, my secret source to odd music that everyone always asks, "How did you hear about these guys". Ben Pries who plays and loves violent video games and Jesus...I kind of feel responsible for both of these. And Tim Ross, whose life that semi parallels my own at times (which is scary), gave me conversations over beers that ooze with sarcasm and makes me laugh. For these friends, I am thankful.

I am thankful for music and musicians. Music inspires me, encourages me, soothes me, welcomes me, and takes me to different worlds sometimes. A lot of memories I have are triggered by music. Music is my release, and for this I am thankful.

Finally, but it should be first, I am thankful for The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. All of them sustain me and give me hope when I feel hopeless, strength when I feel weak, and remind me that I am loved when I feel lonely. They remind me that they are all I need to feel sustained and that material things and social status does not matter in light of God's Kingdom. For their gift of true life, salvation, and inspiration I am thankful.

For my God, wife, family, friends, and hobbies, I am thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving.Ron

No comments: